It was 7th Jan of 2017, the first Saturday of 2017 and our first event of 2017 too. And, we had planned to do some arts and crafts sessions with the children of Aishwarya Children Home which is located at Baluwatar, opposite of the ShivaPuri School, few meters inside from the main road. Shikha, Nimesh, Neha, Shilpa, Abish, Neha’s Dai, Vaauju, Melisa (BFF), Subin, photographer dai, Aishwarya and her mom were already there. I’d arrived a little late at the event. The children were already sitting and ready to get their hands dirty at the ground. And, I was unaware that we were going to celebrate Aishwarya’s birthday there that day. What a pleasant surprise . So, the cake, food and drinks were on their way, the papers, glue and all the materials needed were ready and we were all set to start making beautiful paper flowers.
candles had been lit and all of us were singing the birthday song. It was fun to watch Aishwarya trying to put out those candles. Everytime she blew them off, they got lit back again by themselves. We had to eventually take those self-lighting candles off the cake and oh balloons, we had made balloons too and back to cake, we started cutting the cake into pieces, we didn’t forget to smear the cake on the birthday girl and the honor was done by the mommy of the children’s home. However, later while cutting the cake into pieces, we noticed that we had forgotten to use the candles made of digits “2” and “2”. I think it was her 22nd birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AISHWARYA!! Anyways, it was a lot of fun, I had loads of cake, we all had some Momos and coke. It was a blast.
cranes, they might get to make a wish. All of them were super excited. We distributed the papers and followed Melisa’s instructions. It took some time to explain the steps but eventually the children had their cranes done. Some kids were smart enough to figure out the steps on their own after a few minutes observation while some took all the time they needed.
Share it to the world
It’s been five years since we started with the events at The KTM Drive. It feels so nice how a small idea which was discussed over a coffee turned out to be an eco-friendly drive where we gave about 200 tree saplings for free. The thought came up as we spoke about the dust and pollution while the reconstruction of the roads was happening and how it got hard for people to walk around town. This is when the ‘Go green’ awareness campaign started. We had no idea how one event led to the other, our idea expanded, and it was just not going green but other events which added to making the lives of the people greener. We have completed eighty events till date. As we work on the alternate weekends we have two events a month. KTM Drive is a concept. It’s an initiative started by a group of professionals with a common motive – to make Kathmandu a better place. Following are some of the activities:
- Giving out free saplings at malls so people can multiply the plantation over time.
- We have been associated with many schools wherein we have grouped children of certain classes and taught them how to plant. There has been monitoring sessions after and we teach the kids to go back home and plant trees if they have the space.
- We visit differently able centers and conduct various fun events with the kids. These have ranged from fulfilling their wishes, drawing classes, Ice cream treat, craft classes, providing stationeries, showing them movies and providing them with hygiene kits. One of my best events has been flying kites with these kids during Dashain. It was so much fun being around these kids and spreading smiles.
- We have been sponsoring thirteen children for their education. Eight of them are from Disabled Rehabilitation Centre and five are underprivileged but deserving students.
- We love taking these kids to the zoo, Hanuman Dhoka Durbar Museum, given out mufflers, gloves, caps for the winters.
- We are also connected with the elderly at Nisahaya Seva Sadan, wherein we love spending time with the elderly and getting their magical blessings. During Dashain, we got Saris for Aama’s and trousers for Bua’s.
- We have conducted Eight Rucksack projects till date, wherein we give warm clothes to needy people on the street with food materials.
- The best part about being the founder member of this organization is the way the events take place. We welcome any idea that people want to share in. I make sure that everything is coordinated for the event; the sponsoring if required is available. The feeling of contentment and satisfaction that we get by the end of the day is beyond description. Life becomes more purposeful and the act of giving makes is meaningful. The best part about The KTM Drive is that there are no rules for the member; one can
join us in any event that they want. It’s very flexible. The amazing part is how kids whom we gave clothes last year, recognized us this year and wanted to be a part of our drive by helping us give clothes. Not only has The KTM Drive connected people, but it also has inspired many on its journey of four years. The factor that drives me is that there is so much to give, and the more that I have gotten involved in social activities; it feels that there is no end to it. The amazing part is how credible this organization is that we have sponsors from all around who haven’t me us yet. Our next big project in 2017 is building rooms for adult literacy in Kavre so that the residents empower and sustain themselves.
WE ARE DOING THE LITTLE WE CAN, FOR THE ONES WHO CANNOT AND WE HOPE WE HAVE INSPIRED MANY THROUGH OUR JOURNEY ~
This is my story as a founder member of The KTM Drive.
To know more about us:-
Website:- www.ktmdrive.com Facebook.com/ktmdrive
Twitter.com/ktmdrive Email :- email@example.com
Share it to the world
A chance to share your stories on being a volunteer with @ktmDrive 🙂
Share it to the world